Saturday, March 8, 2008

Gym and New Orleans

Sadly, I have to be forcibly removed from my bike for four and a half days to go to a conference in New Orleans on Sunday.

Fortunately, it's all expenses paid, I'm going with friends and I can still do core workouts in the hotel.

The first step is to do a hard workout at the gym today, so I'll be sore for two or three days anyway. I plan on hitting the hamstrings especially hard; like most cyclists, they're underdeveloped in comparison to my quadriceps. That difference in strength can lead to knee issues when the quad's pull the knee harder than the hamstrings, so balancing the two prevents injury. I'll also do some core and back work, including the rowing machine.

If I'm lucky, the hotel will have a gym worth using and I can hit that on Tuesday, leave Wednesday as a recovery day, and possibly go for a ride after I get back on Thursday.

1 comment:

sambiker said...

Hi there, I am too interested in building up to ride longer rides, like centuries and slightly shorter rides, mainly being I want to take part in some cyclo-sportives in the future. But I know that I am a long way off! I am 17 and have the chance to ride to school about 2 or 3 times a week as well, what is you rough training plan at the moment?

Regards Sam